Mac OS X/Darwin port of Wine

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Mon Jan 6 11:20:05 CST 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 11:12, Jim White wrote:
> Mike Hearn wrote:
> >         Supposedly Mac OS X already has the largest installed base of
> >         any single *nix distribution...
> >
> > Actually, according to figures from Apple and IDC (guess which is more
> > neutral) desktop Linux has at least double and possibly quadruple the
> > installed userbase of MacOS X. I have pointed this out several times
> > when people make statements such as that, and have yet to be refuted,
>
> Do you have any references for those statistics?  The thing that IDC
> just said is that they expect new Linux desktop shipments to pass new
> Mac OS X shipments within the next year or two.  Even if that comes to
> pass (which I very much doubt), that doesn't directly address the
> installed base size.

The only stats I personally find compelling are those from Google:
 http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist/zeitgeist-sept02.html

I've been waiting oh so long for that to tick from 1% to 2%;
that will signal the beginning of the desktop revolution to me.
Sadly, I think Google rounds up generously, so I suspect
it will be a while before we even have a legitimate 1%.

Jer