getting started

Glen Kaukola gkaukola at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 7 02:03:55 CST 2003

Hi everyone,

I forget who's advice it was I took, but I went out and bought a few
books on windows programming. And I plan to get started trying to help
out with the wine project by trying to get the sample applications from
the books to run under wine.  If nothing else I guess I can let everyone
know what it is I can't get working under wine (hopefully everyone
welcomes that sort of input).

So what I'm wondering now is what I should be using to compile my
applications on windows.  One of the books I have says all I need is the
win32 sdk and I can compile apps.  The closest thing I can find on msdn
is the microsoft platform sdk, or perhaps the .net sdk.  I've installed
the microsoft platform sdk core but it doesn't seem to contain nmake.exe
like the book I have talks about.  So maybe I just need more pieces of
the sdk?  Or maybe I've installed the wrong thing entirely?

I know of some other things I could use like borland's compiler or the
bloodshed ide, that uses mingw I believe, but I was thinking it might be
better if I stuck with microsoft development apps so everything happens
the microsoft way in my programs.  So maybe I just need to take one for
the team and go out and buy visual studio?

Thanks in advance,
Glen