getting started

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Jan 7 02:39:41 CST 2003

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
[...]
> Compiling under the SDK using MS tools gives us little value. We already
> know that works. If you don't want to spend the cash on MSVC (and not make
> MS any richer :)), and are willing to invest some time into it, I suggest
> the following path:
>   1. Get the latest mingw 2.0 distribution from http://www.mingw.org
>   2. Modify the makefiles that come in the book to work with GNU make,
>      and the mingw tool chain. Make sure you use forward slashes (/)! :)
>   3. Build on Windows with your newly created Makefiles, and verify
>      that everthing runs under Windows just fine.
>   4. If you feel like it, document what steps you took to convert the
>      makefiles. Maybe we'll put that on the Winelib page, to help
>      others in the future.
>   5. Take the exact same Makefiles you used under Windows, change
>      3 lines in them (CC=winegcc, CXX=wineg++, WINDRES=wrc), and
>      try to compile under Linux. Use the latest Wine tree, and
>      you should have native Linux apps. If you get errors in this
>      step, they are Wine error, please report them, and let's try
>      to fix them. This is the real value of this exercise.
>   6. Once everything builds, run the apps, and make sure they run fine.
>      If they have problems, and you feel brave, let the debugging begin!

Or:
1. get the sources to a Linux machine
2. run winemaker on the sources to generate Makefiles
3. use the Makefiles to compile the examples using Winelib
   In this step you may find that winemaker made some mistakes about how
to generate the Makefiles. You can either fix the makefiles (the
simplest option), or try to improve winemaker. I bet the examples come
with .dsp and .dsw files and improving winemaker to understand these
would greatly improve its accuracy.
4. fix the compilation and link errors thus improving Winelib.
5. once everything, builds run the apps, and make sure they run fine.
   If they have problems, and you feel brave, let the debugging begin!

This is pretty much what I have done with three programming books.
However I have not had time to work on this for a long time and the
Winelib compilation procedure has changed so much that probably nothing
compiles anymore... But you are welcome to have a look at what I did and
see if there is something salvageable:
http://fgouget.free.fr/wine/booktesting-en.shtml

> Welcome to the team!

Yep. The more the merrier.

     The software said it requires Win95 or better, so I installed Linux.