getting started

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Tue Jan 7 12:56:52 CST 2003

On January 7, 2003 02:25 pm, Francois Gouget wrote:
>  * winemaker
>    The assumption is that you have a Windows application (complete with
> CR/LF), most likely based on Visual C++ and thus with no suitable
> makefiles. So winemaker's goal is to quickly generate suitable Makefiles
> that will build Winelib applications/dlls from what it's given and fix
> the simple issues in the source (CR/LF, #pragmas). The backend is
> somewhat secondary.

This touches on an issue that I'd like to avoid discussing now --
it deserves a separate thread. But just to note that the things
you've mentioned are not mutually exclusive:

  -- winemaker has a one-time fixup mode as you mention, for
     Window specific things that are non portable.
     This is something good that should stay in winemaker.
  -- Yes, I agree we want to share more of the build system
     between Wine and Winelib apps. But my proposal is not
     counter to this: we should use winegcc in Wine as well.
  -- Having the make files portable between Wine/Linux/MinGW
     can only be a good thing, right?

What I'm saying is that winemaker right now generates a lot of
the linking/compiling code 'inline' inside the Makefile. All this
stuff is now formalized in winegcc/winewrap, so it just makes
sense to use those. We avoid duplication, and repeated breakage
whenever we change something in the build. It's a win-win IMO.

--
Dimi.