getting started

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Jan 7 17:53:57 CST 2003

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

> On January 7, 2003 02:25 pm, Francois Gouget wrote:
> >  * winemaker
> >    The assumption is that you have a Windows application (complete with
> > CR/LF), most likely based on Visual C++ and thus with no suitable
> > makefiles. So winemaker's goal is to quickly generate suitable Makefiles
> > that will build Winelib applications/dlls from what it's given and fix
> > the simple issues in the source (CR/LF, #pragmas). The backend is
> > somewhat secondary.
>
> This touches on an issue that I'd like to avoid discussing now --
> it deserves a separate thread. But just to note that the things
> you've mentioned are not mutually exclusive:
[...]
>   -- Having the make files portable between Wine/Linux/MinGW
>      can only be a good thing, right?

I think our views are not incompatible and even that we basically agree.
However there is a difference in emphasis. I'm more interested in
improving the front-end, especially by adding support for dsp file which
I think would improve the usefulness of winemaker tremendously (so
that's what I would work on if I had time). You are more interested in
the backend and in making it compatible with MinGW.

However since I probably won't have time to make significant changes to
winemaker in the near future my preferences are moot.

Call for help:

Please if you are interested in working on either aspect let us know (me
or Dimitrie) and we will try to help you each with the part we are more
familiar with.

                         "Utilisateur" (nom commun) :
        Mot utilisé par les informaticiens en lieu et place d'"idiot".