Mac OS X/Darwin port of Wine

Jim White jim at pagesmiths.com
Tue Jan 7 18:36:31 CST 2003

Mike Hearn wrote:
>>Do you have any references for those statistics?
>
> The figures came from this:

You're mixing installed base numbers with new shipments ("market share").

Worthwile to note in this vein is Apple released their version of the
XFree86 X11 server (rootless for Aqua) beta for Jaguar today.  It
includes direct GL support under 10.2.3.  So while Apple's official
position remains that Aqua is the right GUI, they're gonna have top
notch X11 support too.

>>I'm quite unlikely to set up a Linux/PPC box myself, although I am
>>*very* interested in hearing from folks working on Wine for *any* PPC
>>OS.
>
> Hmm, is there any reason for that? Linux/PPC would seem the logical
> place to start...

Yes, of course there are reasons.  If I wanted to use Linux for my
desktop I would do so.   I find Mac OS X to be the best desktop OS in
the world.  I do run Linux servers and find that an excellent way to put
cheap x86 hardware to good use.

>>I have been interested in ways to have Linux compatibility on Mac OS X
>>(it is a microkernel system after all), so I will spend a little time
>>investigating that.
>
> For Linux binary support you'd have to do a FreeBSD style ABI export.

I'm thinking in terms of updating the MkLinux (Apple/OSF) port to the
Darwin Mach kernel.  Seems like there should be a way to do that as an
addition to the Darwin OS and not run a separate system.  What I'ld
really like to see is Red Hat binary compatibility (the duplication
necessary in source porting is largely a wasted in my view).  The next
logical step being an X86 personality too.

Jim