wxWindows: it's official!

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Wed Jan 8 00:49:48 CST 2003

On January 7, 2003 03:15 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> IMO it is right. I would say this is a cygwin bug; cygwin is supposed
> to be Unix compatible, and under Unix access() is in unistd.h. So if
> the app needs access() it should include unistd.h; if it needs the
> other functions from io.h then it has to use msvcrt because they don't
> exist in the Unix libc.

Right -- I now see better where you guys come from.

Now, thing is, cygwin does include io.h, and apps expect it.
You can make a good argument that it shouldn't, but it does.

I don't know much about their problem space, so I give them
the benefit of the doubt that they knew what they were doing.
In all honesty, I can also see a good argument for it being
in cygwin, but this is besides the point -- the file is there,
and apps depend on that.

I just want to say that it has been proved, time and again,
that in the long term we are better off sticking to common
practice. Every time we tried to cure worlds problems, we got
bitten back. We have already so many battles to fight, do we
want to take on this one?

--
Dimi.