Mac OS X/Darwin port of Wine

Michael F. March march at indirect.com
Wed Jan 8 14:06:12 CST 2003

>>I think I will investigate the Linux compatible angle for a bit.  I've
>>already had some interest from some hard core Linux kernel hackers
>>(although they seem pretty convinced Mach was the wrong solution, it is
>>here to stay and at least the microkernel approach means we can neatly
>>have multiple environments).
>

> I think this is the right way to go.
>
> Once you can run Linux/x86 application like Mozilla with acceptable
> performance in Bochs on MacOS X you should be able to run applications
> such as Word in Wine with similar performance. Similarly, once Linux/x86
> Gimp runs with acceptable performance in Bochs on MacOS X you can run
> Photoshop in Wine with similar performance (well, once it runs in Wine
> that is).

Wine should be able to achieve  greater performance than Bochs on
the same system configuration. IIRC, WABI sent only 25% of its cycles
emulating X86 instructions, the rest of the API calls were implemented
and executed in native mode. In Bochs case, it spends 100% of its time
emulating X86 instructions.

--

<admiral>

Michael F. March ----- march at indirect.com