distcc and wine

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Jan 8 15:27:42 CST 2003

Martin Pool wrote:
> I saw (reading my referrer logs :-) people were interested in distcc
> with Wine, so I thought I would add it to distcc's performance
> benchmark.
>
> Across three machines I saw a 2.58x speedup -- details are attached.
> The machines were all 1GB, 1700MHz Pentium IV with a 100Mbps switched
> connection.  Building on just one took 22m57s, and across all three
> took 8m53s.  There is probably still some scheduling inefficiency
> here, which I hope to reduce over the next few months.

Cool!

> I'm not sure what was happening with the person who saw little change.
> Perhaps they had distcc misconfigured, or perhaps they hit a bug.
> Either way I would be interested in hearing the details
> ($DISTCC_HOSTS, etc) and seeing if I can help fix it.

I think the issue was that I did not have three identical machines;
the speedup from distributing to three hosts was minimal compared
to just building on the fast machine.

> I hope you find ccache and distcc useful.  Wine is a cool project.

Thanks for working on distcc et al!  BTW, is gecc ready for prime time yet?
Presumably it would be a win over either ccache or distcc?
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
Linux User #78045