distcc and wine

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Jan 9 14:22:12 CST 2003

Martin Pool wrote:
> On  8 Jan 2003, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>
>>I think the issue was that I did not have three identical machines;
>>the speedup from distributing to three hosts was minimal compared
>>to just building on the fast machine.
>
> I think the scheduler doesn't handle the case of heterogenous machines
> as well as it might.  I'm going to try to fix that.
>
> You should make sure that the fastest machines are listed first in
> DISTCC_HOSTS.

OK, so if I'm running the build on the fast host,
I should include 'localhost' first in DISTCC_HOSTS.

But what about SMP machines?  If the fast machine
is a dual processor box, and the others are all
single-processor, should I put localhost twice in DISTCC_HOSTS?

That's probably part of the reason I got such a poor
speedup -- I had no idea how to configure distcc
well in the first place, let alone configuring
it to deal with SMP systems.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel