getting started

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Thu Jan 9 23:13:19 CST 2003

On January 10, 2003 01:14 am, Glen Kaukola wrote:
> All they have is C++ code.  So maybe I should go with my
> original plan of compiling stuff with visual studio and seeing if it
> runs under wine.  Or do you have any other suggestions?

Compiling stuff with visual studio is a first step. But it should be
very simple to do a Makefile for the examples, how many files do you
have in one example?

Here is an example Makefile that you can use under mingw:
(let me know if it doesn't work, I just typed it inline here, no testing)

>--------------- cut here ------------------------<

CC = gcc	# change this to winegcc under Wine
CXX = g++	# change this to wineg++ under Wine
RC = windres	# change this to wrc under Wine

# There six lines will change between examples
TARGET = sample1.exe   #name of the executable
SRCS = file1.cpp file2.cpp ...
RSRC = res1.rc res2.rc ...

# If you need to add defines, add them to CPPFLAGS
# CPPFLAGS, INCDIRS, LIBDIRS, and LIBS may change between examples
CPPFLAGS =      # add stuff here like -D_WIN32_IE=0x0400
CFLAGS = -mno-cygwin -W -Wall -g -gstabs+ -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti
LDFLAGS = -mno-cygwin -mwindows
INCDIRS =       # add stuff there like -I../include
LIBDIRS =       # add stuff like -L../lib
LIBS = -lcomctl32  # we'll need to add more libs in here for sure

OBJ = $(SRCS:.c=.o) $(RSRC:.c=.o)

%.o : %.rc
	$(RC) $(CPPFLAGS) $< $@

%.o : %.cpp
	$(CXX) $(CFLAGS) $(CPPFLAGS) $(INCDIRS) -c -o $@ $<

%.o : %.c
	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(CPPFLAGS) $(INCDIRS) -c -o $@ $<

$(TARGET): $(OBJS)
	$(CXX) $(LDFLAGS) $(LIBDIRS) $(LIBS) -o $@ $(OBJS)

# A few nice targets

all:    $(TARGET)

clean:
	 rm -f $(TARGET) $(OBJS)

It's not hard, just look in the .dsp project to see what you
need to put in these variables.

--
Dimi.