html browser for wine (khtml)

fenix at club-internet.fr fenix at club-internet.fr
Fri Jan 10 11:32:30 CST 2003

Hi again,

----Message d'origine----
>Sujet: Re: Re: html browser for wine (khtml)
>De: Mike Hearn <m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com>
>A: fenix at club-internet.fr
>Copie à: m.hearn at signal.dera.gov.uk, hetz at witch.dyndns.org,
>Date: 10 Jan 2003 09:47:41 +0000
>
>>  As i know, khtml support most of the IE-isms (for compatibility, try to actve "IE support" in konqueror).
>>  And for ActiveX, it must be simply supported by a khtml plugin (as crossover plugin do)
>
>If only it were that simple. Rather ironically the thing that led to me Wine in the first place was that
>I needed to use features of an ActiveX control that were only available under IE.

Same problem here :)

> Although it would also (in theory)
>work in Mozilla or Konq as well, in practice they didn't support rich enough plugin interfaces for host scripting
>merge (where the plugin hooks into the browsers script interpreter and partially merges them together). Hence I now
>sometimes need to use IE under Linux.

http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdelibs/kparts/browserextension.h?rev=1.94&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

-> LiveConnectExtension is for scripting Interface (kjs and JAVA support use it so it will be sufficient for ActiveX/ActiveScript)
(I have played with it a long time ago for a mini-basic scripting support)

>There are lots of IEisms that I doubt Konq replicates. ActiveX controls are sometimes a lot more complex than just
>displaying some controls on a page, they can actually integrate with IE to quite an impressive extent.

maybe but all ActiveX i have seen are only embeded plugins or code who:
- sometimes modify html rendering (ex: embeding directx panel, ...)
- do some windows calls

And i don't see what you cannot do with konq plugins.

>For instance:
>
>- DirectX filters

hmm, problem here, DirectShow and DirectMedia are not supported by wine yet ( it's at end on my todo list :) ).

>- DHTML Behaviours

if you talk by unsupported specific IE-DHTML behaviors by kthml ... we have to see if we can easily extend khtml parser without forking kthml code (i haven't see how parser interact with plugins)
Maybe asking khtml people if its possible integrating more IE-isms compat in kthml ...

>- ActiveScript (needs a vbscript interpreter as well as a JS interpreter)
>- ActiveX data binding
>- .NET integration

.NET integration is difficult because it can use SOAP and somes XMLs stupid things :(

>and so on. I expect upstream khtml could get 80% of the way there, but the remaining 20% would require tight
>integration with Wine and some extensive code changes.

>--
>Mike Hearn <m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com>
>QinetiQ - Malvern Technology Center

 Raphael