Wine, Mozilla & IE ?

Ender winedev at admdev.com
Fri Jan 10 05:45:53 CST 2003

Mike asked me to e-mail a status report on my KHTML work, so here it
is :)

I've been too busy lately (job hunting mostly, although I've also been
sick and bedridden lately) to do any more work on it, and I was really
waiting for Alexandre to comment on my question about C++ before going any
further... I havn't seen a reply yet tho.

The current state of my local tree, besides being a mess, is that it has
most QT dependencies removed. Currently it uses a lot of QT stub's around
WinAPI functions that I wish to remove before doing much more work with
it.

It is currently quite MS html compatible, and my CHM viewer seems to have
few problems rendering HtmlHelp pages using the KHTML/KJS functionality.
Unlike Gecko, which is too 'standards compliant'... eg, it deliberatly
doesn't implement any of the IE specific functionality.

The other issue I need to look into is where each part of IE functionality
need to go. Implementing IWebBrowser is easy enough from my current work,
however that is only the very top of the iceburg. The more important issue
is to get all the various parts in the right dlls (shdocvw,  shdoclc,
jscript, ecetra). Many programs that embed IE use and/or subclass a large
number of functions - mostly undocumented - from these dlls, as opposed to
using IWebBrowser itself. There is also the problem of res:// inclusion of
HTML templates embedded in shdocvw, ecetra.

This is, btw, another reason that gecko isn't very well suited. It would
require a lot more work to butcher gecko (simply because of it's size and
complexity) into these stub dlls, than it would to do so to KHTML/KJS.
Either way, it's a lot of work that unfortunatly I don't have all that
much time to do at the moment.

Hopefully my job hunting will calm down soon, and I will have time to
clean up the code to a state where I can at least post it for other people
to work on... then again, if it calms down it means I've FOUND a job... so
it could work both ways :)

 - Ender