Help with /?? stuff

John K. Hohm jhohm at acm.org
Fri Jan 10 16:32:04 CST 2003

Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> You guessed wrong. The leading \?? is there under both Wine and Windows
> 2000, and in both cases there is ALSO a NULL. As neither Wine nor
> Windows 2000 then accepts that as a valid path, I'll just remove it. I
> was just wondering whether anyone knows why Windows 2000 puts that extra
> stuff in (it's obvious why wine does that - to be compatible).

I'm not sure about \??, but see this excerpt from MSDN Re CreateFile:

lpFileName [in]
Pointer to a null-terminated string that specifies the name of the object
to create or open.

In the ANSI version of this function, the name is limited to MAX_PATH
characters. To extend this limit to 32,767 wide characters, call the
Unicode version of the function and prepend "\\?\" to the path. For more
information, see Naming a File.

Windows 95/98/Me:  This string must not exceed MAX_PATH characters.