Wine, Mozilla & IE ?

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com
Mon Jan 13 04:47:01 CST 2003

> Ender, you may be right that we might have to integrate something into
> the tree. Nonetheless, it scares me shitless! What happens 3 mo, 1 year
> down the road? KHTML is very much a work in progress, who's gonna track
> it?

Would we need to track it significantly? Most uses of the IE web control
seem to be fairly predictable and not all that advanced. Most of the
work going into KHTML is to allow it to act as a good general purpose
web renderer, which isn't really relevant to wine.

Of course the odd bugfix and security issues might need to be
backported, but as it's a fairly specific purpose fork that might not be
as bad as it sounds.

> KHTML is very much a work in progress, who's gonna track
> it? We don't have any richedit control, heck even our bog standard edit
> box is not finished! And for how many years now?!?

Hey, I don't suppose KHTML could form the basis of a rich edit control
could it? I don't know if it supports editing at all. GTKHtml definately
does, but obviously it uses gdk rather than the gdi (although gdk can
use the gdi, which might come in useful for future theming work anyway).

>         -- I haven't looked, but I assume KHTML can't use that many
> 	   difficult to implement QT features

I dunno how hard it'd be to implement but it uses the Qt object model quite extensively which is
a) complex and b) requires a preprocessor. Nothing impossible, but a lot of work.

That's another possibility of course, that you might wish to look into
Ender. GTK-HTML doesn't get the same amount of press that KHTML does,
but it's written in C and is actually a fairly capable embedded html
renderer. It relies upon GTK/GDK which already has a port to Windows,
the GNOME help system uses it for rendering afaik so it should be easier
to integrate with Wine. Finally it supports editing, which might come in
useful in future.

--
Mike Hearn <m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com>
QinetiQ - Malvern Technology Center