Help wanted: Implementing Wine dlls that need access to X11 commands.

Robert North 7ownq0k402 at sneakemail.com
Mon Jan 13 12:30:23 CST 2003

I'm about to start serious implementation on the wintab32 dll.
I now need some guidance as to how best to implement it's access to X11
calls.

My current thoughts on how to do this are given below.
Are they reasonable??

I need to access a number of X11 calls, largely in the XInput extension.
None of these are exposed by the x11drv dll.

My intention is currently to change nothing in the x11drv dll.

The only hints I can find about how to do this are from the direct draw
and open gl dlls.

These dlls can do the following:
    Get the X11 Display object of a gdi context.
    Get the X11 window handle given a win32 window handle.
    Synchronise with the x11_drv code for multi threading.

My wintab code will do the same.

    The one difference will be that wintab will create it's own X11
Display objects.
    It will interrogate a gdi's X11 Display object to ensure it talks to
the same screen.

    The wintab code will also require multiple message queues.
    To implement this I intend to use one display object per queue.
    (Much as wine uses one display object per thread)

Hope I'm on the right track
    -Rob.