Add filesytem type NTFS to config

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Jan 15 12:33:35 CST 2003

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Tony Lambregts wrote:
[...]
> >AFAIK, read-write CDs use a special filesystem so they probably get
> >their own value.

Confirmed: you can use ISO9660 (or ext2fs for that matter), but if you
want to use your CDRW as a big floppy drive on Windows, then you would
use UDF (google CDRW UDF).

> Samba probably reports whatever the share's underlying
> >filesystem is (at least if the server is a Windows machine).

IIRC, right-click -> Properties on a shared drive tells you what
filesystem the remote computer is using for that filesystem. It does not
mean that Windows is not returning some strange value in the function
you are concerned about but I don't have a way of checking that.  What
about providing a test app that would enumerate drives and dump the
values reported by Windows?

> I suspect
> >zip drives just use what the user chooses, i.e. FAT or VFAT, maybe FAT32
> >though that seems quite unnecessary given their limited size.

Confirmed. I asked a collegue who has a Zip drive and they behave just
like other removable media (floppies). So you use the usual way to
format such things so what you get is a FAT disk. Depends on your
Windows OS of course. On Windows 95 you would get VFAT, on Windows 98SE
you may get FAT32 instead.
Of course that does not mean that Windows is not checking that this is a
Zip drive+FAT combination to return 'foobar' rather than just FAT. But
it does seem relatively improbable.

> AFAICS you are just guessing. I can do that... but it is not a good way
> to build specs.

Not really guessing. Just providing a dump of my fuzzy memories of past
experiences and stuff I read in the hope that it can guide your search
about an exhaustive list of Windows supported filesystems.

You asked: Any other thing I missed?

At least you missed the filesystem used for CDRW: UDF. Again maybe the
function you are concerned about will call that CDFS or billfs. But now
you know that you need to ask someone with a CDRW drive to check what
the function returns for that drive.

          tcA thgirypoC muinelliM latigiD eht detaloiv tsuj evah uoY