GPL winelib apps ok in tree? (was: Re: Implementation of "start" command)

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Jan 17 01:02:23 CST 2003

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Sylvain Petreolle wrote:
>
>> Dan,
>> It was already discussed when Dustin was trying to handle the
>> autorun.inf files.
>> If you want to do this, use cygstart.
>> Could be funny if we merge it.
>>
>> http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2002/12/0279.html
>

> Cygwin is GPL, but the registry-sensing changes have to
> go directly into ShellExecute, which is LGPL.
> Emulating them in start is not really an option.

/me gets clue

I read the source for cygstart.  It's at
   http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils-package/cygutils-1.1.3.tar.bz2
It's also a thin wrapper around ShellExecute, just like
my program, but they did put noticable work into that wrapper.

The license for Cygstart is GPL, and I'm afraid that may be a problem
for merging.   Would the leadership care to comment on whether
individual directories in wine/programs can be under the GPL?
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com