Installshield 6 crash: ole trouble

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Jan 21 01:12:29 CST 2003

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Bobby Bingham wrote:
>
>> IIRC, InstallShield 6 can work if you copy stdole32.tlb from a real
>> windows to wine's system directory.
>
> Yep, copying just that one file made things get a lot further!
> After futzing around for half an hour, I finally convinced our
> app to install.  There appear to be a lot of rough edges
> here; I had to turn on ole logging and run just the extracted
> setup.exe (not the package-for-the-web wrapper) to get
> things to work

It looks like there's a Heisenbug here.  If I run without
logging, I get a window titled "Unhandled Exception",
with contents
"Error Number: 0x80040706
Setup will now terminate."

Intriguingly, this error message may be from a bug in Installshield itself; see
http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/bugs_is60.htm
I'll check to see what version of Installshield this setup.exe was built with.
However, I wouldn't be suprised if there's a race condition here,
seeing as how setup worked fine with logging on.

- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com