Old PROGMAN DDE service for creating icons?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Jan 21 02:04:07 CST 2003

Hey folks,
I looked around on google for some discussion of this, but didn't find anything.
What's the current thinking on making Wine able to handle
the DDE messages that old windows 3.1 apps used to
use to install program icons?

In Microsoft Windows 3.1, this was handled by Progman.exe.
In win95 and later, I think it's handled by Explorer.exe.

Should I perhaps add a DDE server to the placeholder
implementation of explorer I submitted last week?

For what it's worth, I looked around for an example of a DDE
server written in C, and found one written in 1992:
http://www.the-oasis.net/thereef/files/c/ddeml.zip
(possibly written by bob.hartman at esoft.com, it's hard to tell).
That should come in handy as example source if we decide to do this.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com