App works almost perfectly, but one MDI screen won't draw

Rick Romero rick at valeoinc.com
Wed Jan 22 14:13:22 CST 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 20:15, Duane Clark wrote:
> Dan Kegel wrote:
> > Installing my company's app is still a bear -- the only
> > way I've found to avoid the dreaded "object reference not set" is
> > to run with --debugmsg +ole and redirect to a file
> > (not to the screen, and not to /dev/null).
> >
> > Once installed, the app runs quite well... except for one screen,
> > which remains nearly blank.  The MDI frames draw fine, but the
> > contents (which include a hex memory dump area and a tree control)
> > remain blank.

Visual Foxpro (Thanks for the patch Duane!) does the same thing with
'Wait Windows'.  With a relay trace, it runs slow enough that you can
see the text is actually drawn (using gdi32.ExtTextOutA) but is then
overwritten by the window itself.

> I was going to spend this weekend fixing another MDI app to fix a draw
> problem that several exhibit (for example, Kaleidegraph). Oddly it is
> just the opposite; the contents draw ok but not the frames. I already
> have a good idea of where the problem on them is.
>
> Would a demo version of your app be available for download somewhere? I
> would be interested in testing it.

If Dan's app behaves the same as mine, I can create a prog that displays a window :)

FWIW, Transgaming's current CVS WILL display the text correctly, but what appeared to be
an MDI window is actually created unmanaged (with windows decorations).  If anything,
that's one way to test and see if you get your text..

Rick