A strange problem with xmpeg

Waldeck Schutzer schutzer at math.rutgers.edu
Wed Jan 22 20:10:19 CST 2003

I have more data on item (2). I traced back the problem to be in
Main_DirectDraw_CreateSurface. The application (or even wine itself) had
requested a surface with flags DDSCAPS_VIDEOMEMORY and DDSCAPS_OVERLAY
set. These are apparently not supported and, instead of failing, that
function assumes the creation of an offscreen surface instead. However,
it seems the other parameters (including surface BPP) were not
adequately set, which causes wine to crash later on
in DDRAW_width_bpp_to_pitch.

I'd like to include the backtrace and other debug stuff here but I don't
know how to copy and paste from winedbg window. Since this seems to be
an implementation issue, I will make no attempt to fixing it. For the
time being, I'll just keep the hack I told you before.

Best,
Waldeck