Font trouble in VB app "Yardi Property Management"

Huw D M Davies h.davies1 at physics.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 25 18:53:09 CST 2003

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 12:48:25PM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> I ran a VB app from http://www.yardi.com with the command
>
> $ wine --dll compobj,storage,ole2,ole32=n  Y.EXE
>
> It initially died because COMPOBJ.DLL didn't
> implement ordinals COMPOBJ.201 and COMPOBJ.207,
> so I copied compobj.dll from Windows Me, and that got rid
> of the crash.
>
> However... there's a bit of font corruption in both the
> splash screen and the opening file dialog box.  I'm attaching
> .png images for both.  They're pretty much unreadable.
> So I reran with --debugmsg +font, and am attaching the log
> (compressed, this time!).
>
> Any suggestions?  I could run the app under XP and
> get traces or screen dumps if that would help.

Hi Dan

Wine only finds one font file
(/home/dank/c/windows/Fonts/AdvMicr.ttf).  My guess is that previously
you'd been defaulting to X11 fonts and then some app installed this
font, Wine now sees this and uses client side fonts.  The problem is
that things don't look great when you've only got one font to choose
from, especially if it's a symbol type font :)

If you add a [FontDirs] section to the config file with lines of the
form:
"dir1"="/unix/path/to/font/dir"
"dir2"="/another/path/to/fonts"
where the directories contain TrueType font files then hopefully
things should look better.

[Did I say that we should have libfontconfig support in Wine...]

Huw.