[RESENT] Always print version on startup

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Jul 1 16:57:23 CDT 2003

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Uwe Bonnes wrote:

> Changelog:
> 	misc/options.c: OPTIONS_ParseOptions
> 	Always print out version
>
> > The recent posting about the Altere quartus installer not working seems to
>                                ^^^^^^
>                                Altera
> > be caused by an old version used. The poster shows the startup and
> > messages. If the version was printed by default, it could help debugging
>
> Only Marcus objected, but didn't react on my remarks.
[...]

Let me object too then.

This patch will break all scripts that use regedit to export part of the
registry to stdout. It will also break all applications that run
'uninstaller --list' and then parse the output to determine what Windows
applications are installed. It will also break all Winelib applications
that print anything to stdout that then needs to be parsed by a script
or some other program.
Of course we have each of these cases in CrossOver.

Then it will break all Windows application that analyze the output of
another Windows application. For instance I expect Visual C++'s nmake+cl
will not work anymore (as well as other make+compiler cases). Even
compiling from the Visual C++ IDE may stop working.

Finally it's a matter of what Wine is about. Wine is about transparently
running Windows applications. Wine itself should be as invisible as
possible, it should just get out of the way. We went out of our way
(well iirc Alexandre did most of that work) to avoid having the Wine
command line options interfer with the application's command line
options. Printing garbage (from the Windows application point of vue) on
stdout would be a step backwards.

        War doesn't determine who's right.  War determines who's left.