[RESENT] Always print version on startup

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Jul 1 18:18:10 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, PETREOLLE Sylvain wrote:

> I think this can be avoided.
> Let use stderr to print this, this way you can use redirections with every
> program you want.

Actually, MESSAGE probably prints to stderr already. But still, some
programs will assume that an error occurred if something is printed on
stderr. For instance this will happen to any application written in tcl
unless the developper went to great lengths to avoid it. So such a
change would likely break WineSetupTk.

> I will add one more remark (!) : I dont know many programs that expect "Wine
> version" in their output.

Precisely. And they should not have to deal with it. This is absolutely
equivalent to modifying grep so it systematically prints its version
information on stdout or stderr. This would break tons of scripts out
there.

> If they are disturbed by this, this is a huge design problem.

In the above example the design bug would not be in the scripts that get
broken but in grep. Similarly, Wine has no business adding or removing
anything from what the Windows application prints on stdout or stderr.

                     Linux: the choice of a GNU generation