[RESENT] Always print version on startup

PETREOLLE Sylvain Sylvain.PETREOLLE at gefco.fr
Tue Jul 1 18:47:38 CDT 2003

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Francois Gouget [mailto:fgouget at free.fr]
Envoyé : mercredi 2 juillet 2003 01:18
À : PETREOLLE Sylvain
Cc : wine-devel at winehq.org
Objet : RE: [RESENT] Always print version on startup

Now we need to be sure of that...
And since WineSetupTk is wine-specific, it should be able to handle this.

Actually, MESSAGE probably prints to stderr already. But still, some
programs will assume that an error occurred if something is printed on
stderr. For instance this will happen to any application written in tcl
unless the developper went to great lengths to avoid it. So such a
change would likely break WineSetupTk.

If stderr is used, they shouldnt have the message in any way.

> I will add one more remark (!) : I dont know many programs that expect
"Wine
> version" in their output.

Precisely. And they should not have to deal with it. This is absolutely
equivalent to modifying grep so it systematically prints its version
information on stdout or stderr. This would break tons of scripts out
there.