File descriptor limit

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Jul 4 13:39:13 CDT 2003

Dan Kegel wrote:
>>> I doubt Wine scales well to large numbers of threads or fd's.  Maybe
>>> it's time to start seeing where the bottlenecks are...
>>
>> I was discussing this with Mike McCormack last night on IRC. He gave me
>> some ideas and sent me a couple of patches. As I'm not getting very far
>> with this OLE deadlock, I think I'll look at these patches next.
>
> First order of business is a benchmark or two, I think.

Did you say you were running a Java app?  OK, then:
run, don't walk, to http://www.volano.com/benchmarks.html
and see if you can get that to run under Wine.
That is the java-threads-and-sockets benchmark par excellance.
I haven't tried it myself under Wine, as I didn't think Java
ran under Wine yet, but if you're running Jxta stuff, I guess
Wine is ready for Volanomark.

It would be very, very interesting to compare Volanomark
results for Windows and Wine on the same hardware.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com