Locales with the same language

Vincent Béron vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca
Mon Jul 14 09:17:55 CDT 2003

Le dim 13/07/2003 à 23:52, Dmitry Timoshkov a écrit :
> "Vincent Béron" <vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca> wrote:
>
> > I have problems displaying Wine's app in my locale (fr_CA). They seem to
> > prefer to go to the English locale, although if launched with
> > LANG=fr_FR wine notepad
> > they will obey the French locale.
> >
> > LANG=fr wine notepad
> > will display a warning about the plurality of locales with "fr", but
> > will display the app in French nonetheless.
>
> LC_ALL=fr_CA wine notepad

Nope, doesn't work.

> should help. Probably you have no any of LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LANGUAGE,
> LC_MESSAGES, LANG environment variables set at all.

LANG is normally set to fr_CA, and I have no problem getting other apps
in French Canadian (Evolution, Gnome, etc.).

3 different runs:
[vincent at beronski vincent]$ LC_ALL=fr notepad
For language 'fr' several language ids were found:
fr_FR - 040C; fr_BE - 080C; fr_CA - 0C0C; fr_CH - 100C; fr_LU - 140C;
fr_MC - 180C;
Instead of using first in the list, suggest to define
your LANG environment variable like this: LANG=fr_FR
(notepad displayed in French)
[vincent at beronski vincent]$ LC_ALL=fr_FR notepad
(notepad displayed in French)
[vincent at beronski vincent]$ LC_ALL=fr_CA notepad
(notepad displayed in English)

The same thing happens if I set LANG to de, de_DE and de_AT. The first
two display notepad in Deutch, while the third displays it in English.
pt, pt_BR and pt_PT (in that order) also show the same thing.

It seems some code (in dlls/kernel/locale.c?) has some problem selecting
the proper locale if the country is not the first in the list showed if
only the language is selected...

Vincent