Once again: Wine without X?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Jul 15 22:57:55 CDT 2003

Kelly Leahy (kellyleahy_at_swbell.net) wrote:
>> OK folks, it's time for my semiannual "I need Wine to
>> run a commandline program, but can't get it to work" rant.
>>
>> First try: just do a default installation of wine-20030709. ...
>>
>> $ wine -- /dos/d/vss/win32/ss.exe
>> Could not stat /mnt/fd0 (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
>> x11drv: Can't open display:
>> $ echo $DISPLAY
>> $
>
> This may be a stupid question, but aren't you supposed to use 'wineconsole'
> for wine console apps?

Doesn't help.  I tried it.  It still does that horrid ncurses stuff,
and setting ttydrv to 'none' doesn't help.
It looks like wineconsole is only useful for non-filters.  It might be
fine for, say, a win32 implementation of vi, but not for one of ls.

Ideally, one should be able to use Windows
commandline tools that don't try to position the cursor as normal
Unix commandline tools.  The commandline client for Microsoft Source Safe
is a perfect example.  The unix user doesn't want to know he's using
Wine; he wants to be able to say 'ss get foo.c' and grab the latest foo.c
from sourcesafe.    (This requires having a little shell script or alias
to translate ss into wine ss.exe, but that's easy.)

I've used Wine for over a year like this, and it really helped
integrate Linux into the Windows network where I work.  It was
hard to set up, so periodically I try setting it up from scratch
without any tricks to see if it's gotten easier (or harder!) in the
meantime.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel