AAAUUGH!

Gregory M. Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Wed Jul 16 21:43:31 CDT 2003

I swear, fdi.c is the worst code I ever wrote, period.

It's just an absolute graveyard of abandoned code-paths and unused
variables... it's downright embarassing... and of course all the stuff I
carelessly brushed over is coming back to haunt me for split cabs...  it
doesn't help that this is really boring stuff, absolutely no real challenge
to keep it interesting except the pure tediousness of it...  Stuart Caie did
all the real work already, of course, this is just some kind of insane-asylum
housekeeping chore...

Seriously, why are you people letting me infect your beautiful non-emulator
with such crap?  You should have taken me out to the abandoned nether regions
of the code mines and shot me several patches ago ;)

I'm really tempted to just pitch the whole mess and start over.  I should have
been editing cabextract.c all along, instead of employing this cut-and-paste
bloatware approach...  Bet I'd be done by now, if I'd just maintained some
pretense of orthogonality.

Well, in such situations I am at least stubborn, if not effective.  Either I
will beat the infestation into remission, or I will fix it the hard (and
right) way.  Be advised, however, that previous "I'm really, really almost
done this time" predictions may have been overly optimistic.

--
"We must stop thinking of the individual and start
thinking about what is best for society."

gmt