XEMBED implementation

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Thu Jul 17 08:04:58 CDT 2003

No, there is currently no support in Wine for embedding windows like
that.

In GTK2, you'd create a GtkSocket, then somehow pass the resulting
socket ID to Wine. Wine then docks to it using XEMBED.

At the moment though, Wine can't do that. The best way to implement it
would probably be to have a Wine specific function in the user.dll,
which you can pass the socket ID, and it then docks. There is already a
bit of infrastructure in place if you apply my system tray patch, you
can see the opcodes with names as they are received by wine - but it
doesn't do anything with them.

It shouldn't be hard to implement. A couple of days work, to get it
going well?

thanks -mike