Locales with the same language

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Thu Jul 17 10:00:46 CDT 2003

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>"Shachar Shemesh" <wine-devel at shemesh.biz> wrote:
>

>Then probably you had to replace SUBLANG_NEUTRAL by SUBLANG_DEFAULT
>only for LANG_ENGLISH resources. Anyway the patch I just set adds
>LANG_ENGLISH,SUBLANG_NEUTRAL to the fallback list, since my test
>under win2k shows that.

After some more analysis as a result of our discussion, maybe that is,
indeed, the right thing to do.

>>I then proceeded to research what the situation on Windows was, and the
>>categorical answer was that Visual Studio would not let you create
>>resources with SUBLANG_NEUTRAL. SUBLANG_DEFAULT was the only option. It
>>is for that reason that I believe that SUBLANG_NEUTRAL should only be
>>used as a search qualifier, never as an actual resource.
>>

>If VS wouldn't allow you to add Hebrew resources you would decide that
>Hebrew language is forbidden in resources?

VS DOESN'T let me add Hebrew resources, but if I then go and type in the
language ID manually, it accepts it. On the other hand, it didn't accept
SUBLANG_NEUTRAL as a valid option. As I said earlier in this mail,
further research seems to suggest that I was, indeed, wrong.

>>The MSDN is a little hazy on the subject of
>>SUBLANG_NEUTRAL. It has always been my understanding that we should be
>>treating SUBLANG_NEUTRAL as a wildcard. Is that wrong?
>>

>The best way is to write a test program. I did it. Did you?

At the time, yes. The result was that LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_DEFAULT was
selected no matter what I did. When I have the time (yeah, right) I'll
try installing a few variants of the same windows versions and do
comparative assesment. I'm willing to mark this down as a bad case of
memory on my part, in any case.

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh