Locales with the same language

Vincent Béron vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca
Thu Jul 17 11:22:57 CDT 2003

Le jeu 17/07/2003 à 12:05, Vincent Béron a écrit :

> > > After some more analysis as a result of our discussion, maybe that is,
> > > indeed, the right thing to do.
> >
> > Could you ask Alexandre to revert your patch please?
>
> Using SUBLANG_NEUTRAL in notepad rather than SUBLANG_DEFAULT makes it
> speak French on both Windows and Wine with LANG=fr_CA, LANG=fr_CH, etc.

(after a bit more testing)
Using only SUBLANG_FRENCH_CANADIAN will display in French on both
Windows and Wine.
Using only SUBLANG_FRENCH_SWISS will display in English on both Windows
and Wine.
Using only SUBLANG_FRENCH will display in French only in Windows,
English in Wine (with LANG=fr_CA).

So SUBLANG_FRENCH seems to act (on Windows) the same way as a wildcard,
matching any of it's sublanguages if an exact match can't be done.

I also tried defining more than one (ie, SUBLANG_FRENCH and
SUBLANG_FRENCH_CANADIAN) resources. On Windows it chose the
SUBLANG_FRENCH, while in Wine it chose the SUBLANG_FRENCH_CANADIAN. That
gets me a bit puzzled though... unless my installation of Windows is set
to French, then French Canadian as a fallback (don't know of to check
this).

Vincent