Locales with the same language

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Fri Jul 18 08:32:36 CDT 2003

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>"Vincent Béron" <vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca> wrote:
>

>>(after a bit more testing)
>>Using only SUBLANG_FRENCH_CANADIAN will display in French on both
>>Windows and Wine.
>>Using only SUBLANG_FRENCH_SWISS will display in English on both Windows
>>and Wine.
>>Using only SUBLANG_FRENCH will display in French only in Windows,
>>English in Wine (with LANG=fr_CA).
>>
>>So SUBLANG_FRENCH seems to act (on Windows) the same way as a wildcard,
>>matching any of it's sublanguages if an exact match can't be done.
>>

>Could you please elaborate a bit, how exactly you did the tests above?
>

>>I also tried defining more than one (ie, SUBLANG_FRENCH and
>>SUBLANG_FRENCH_CANADIAN) resources. On Windows it chose the
>>SUBLANG_FRENCH, while in Wine it chose the SUBLANG_FRENCH_CANADIAN. That
>>gets me a bit puzzled though... unless my installation of Windows is set
>>to French, then French Canadian as a fallback (don't know of to check
>>this).
>>

>All of this highly depend on the exact language set in your system (be it
>Windows or Wine).
>
>I've attached my test app. See the results I got eclosed there between
>#if 0/#endif.
>
>Note, that if your system doesn't support SetThreadLocale() (i.e. you are
>running Win9x), the system will prefer your current locale settings
>instead of the provided value and it will influence behaviour of LoadString
>and FindResource.
>
>As you might see, Wine doesn't behave exactly like Windows, Wine makes
>a preference for the current locale, Windows prefers to choose LANG_ENGLISH
>first. As it was discussed previously, Wine's behaviour have to stay as
>it is now, otherwise all NLS support for built-in DLLs and apps will broke.

I suspect that this depends on the language of Windows you install. When
I have some time, I'll play a bit with this. MS also has a version of
windows called "MUI", or Multilinugual User Interface. I suspect that
that version behaves more like Wine does at the moment, but I have not
checked that one either.

In the mean while, let's indeed reverese the patch translating
SUBLANG_NEUTRAL->SUBLANG_DEFAULT.

                Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh