Warning on Alpha Linux

Todd Vierling tv at pobox.com
Sat Jul 19 23:10:33 CDT 2003

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Steven Edwards wrote:

: > In Wine we have to use UINT_PTR, ULONG_PTR, DWORD_PTR for casting pointer
: > to an integer type. These macros have correct behaviour on Win32 and Win64.
:
: So if I define the _WIN64 macro for AXP all of the *_PTR should be ok right? I will submit a patch
: for this in short order.
:
: I have this Alpha that HP loaned us for ReactOS but I have never been able to build a current
: gcc/binutils that build for a alpha-pe target. I figure while I still have it then I will work on
: getting WINE working. Anyone know AXP assembly interested in helping with the port?

You should be aware that NT on Alpha was *NOT* a LP64 operating system
(whereas Windows on IA64 is indeed LP64), and I'm presuming that the
"alpha-pe" is targeting the classical NT/Alpha configuration.  The ARC BIOS
that was used to load NT created a memory map that simulated a 32-bit memory
space, thus essentially making an Alpha behave much like an x86 -- well,
sort of.

A Wine compiled as Win64 will likely not be able to run Alpha NT binaries.
However, it might work reasonably well to compile apps with Winelib.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv at pobox.com>