Warning on Alpha Linux

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 20 01:37:12 CDT 2003

--- Todd Vierling <tv at pobox.com> wrote:
> You should be aware that NT on Alpha was *NOT* a LP64 operating system
> (whereas Windows on IA64 is indeed LP64), and I'm presuming that the
> "alpha-pe" is targeting the classical NT/Alpha configuration.  The ARC BIOS
> that was used to load NT created a memory map that simulated a 32-bit memory
> space, thus essentially making an Alpha behave much like an x86 -- well,
> sort of.
>
> A Wine compiled as Win64 will likely not be able to run Alpha NT binaries.
> However, it might work reasonably well to compile apps with Winelib.

I dont really care so much about being compatible with Alpha NT stuff. I know Marcus broke the NT
PPC compatiblity stuff for his Winelib port so I think its a non-issue for anyone here.

I just wonder how M$ did this for Win2K RC1. I have a copy of this and it supported older Alpha NT
apps even though it was supposed to be LP64. I dont know that much about the lower level stuff so
maybe they figured out a way to do both. They did have Fx32 built in also for X86 apps so maybe it
was extended to support LP32 alpha apps in 64 bit mode.

Thanks
Steven