Unhandled exception (wine-20030709)

Magnus Solvang magnus at solvang.net
Tue Jul 29 17:03:21 CDT 2003

(I posted this to the wine-users-list a week ago, but didn't get
 any respons)

I just tried to install wine for my first time. Redhat 9.0, kernel
2.5.73. Downloaded the rpm-binary, but when trying to start
notepad.exe, it looped with a message like:

  wine: Unhandled exception (thread 01f9), starting debugger...
  Could not stat /mnt/fd0 (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:

While looping it started nearly 255 processes (max PTYs?), before the
machine halted. I did this before modifying my config-file (using
the default one).
After adjusting the config-file, I no longer got any error-messages,
but the same thing happened.

[...]
  wine: Unhandled exception (thread 01f1), starting debugger...
  wine: Unhandled exception (thread 01f3), starting debugger...
  wine: Unhandled exception (thread 01f5), starting debugger...
  wine: Unhandled exception (thread 01f7), starting debugger...
  wine: Unhandled exception (thread 01f9), starting debugger...
  wine: Unhandled exception (thread 01fb), starting debugger...

Fine! I then tried to compile wine from source, but at the end of
the installation (su root/make install - wine only), the same thing
happened:

[...]
  wine: Unhandled exception (thread 01f5), starting debugger...
  Could not stat /mnt/fd0 (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
  Could not stat /cdrom (No such file or directory), ignoring drive D:
  wine: Unhandled exception (thread 01f7), starting debugger...
  Could not stat /mnt/fd0 (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
  Could not stat /cdrom (No such file or directory), ignoring drive D:
  wine: Unhandled exception (thread 01f9), starting debugger...
  Could not stat /mnt/fd0 (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
  Could not stat /cdrom (No such file or directory), ignoring drive D:
  wine: Unhandled exception (thread 01fb), starting debugger...
  Could not stat /mnt/fd0 (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
  Could not stat /cdrom (No such file or directory), ignoring drive D:
  wine: Unhandled exception (thread 01fd), starting debugger...
  ./tools/wineinstall: line 645: 26966 Killed                  $REGEDIT $DEFREG >/dev/null
  Registry install failed.

I managed to open a terminal and do a "killall -9 wine". This happened
during "make install", so I didn't get to edit the config-file before
this happened.

I have tried booting with both 2.4 and 2.5-kernels, with the same
result.

- M