_Add_root_drive_mapping_to_default_config_file

Patrick Griffin griffinp at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 3 11:11:06 CDT 2003

Hello all-
	Having returned from vacation, I'm back to work on winecfg.
	In order to do drive autodetection from within the win32 API, I've been
using the /etc/fstab file.  Of course, this implies that winecfg (a
win32 program) needs access to the / directory.  Talk about mixing your
metaphors...
	Anyway, winecfg needs to fopen( "/etc/fstab",...) so Wine needs to
provide access to /.  As things currently stand, anyway.  My impression
is that we'll have to rely on Unix security measures to prevent programs
from over-running stuff they shouldn't, which is what we're currently
doing anyway.  That's why you shouldn't run wine as root.
	My impression is that / access is necessary for an effective winecfg
and desirable in many other cases, as well (opening arbitrary Linux
files in Windows programs).  Now, if we want winecfg to create separate
users for running Wine with limited access or some such, it could be
discussed, but it seems like far too much complexity to worry about
right now.

Patrick