Major FUD (was Re: Add root drive mapping to default config file)B

Patrick Griffin griffinp at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 3 13:40:03 CDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 15:24, Jeff Smith wrote:
> After further consideration, I have come to believe that we might as well have
> the root mapping.  Enough people seem to want it that, as Dimi say, we need
> to deal with the possibility anyway.  BTW, Todd, I hope when I posted the URL
> to the article puoti had mentioned, that you did not think the opinions
> expressed in that article were by any means my own.  Perhaps I should have
> made a disclaimer. :-/
>
> As for using it in the wine config tool, I thought it was going to be a
> winelib app, as opposed to pure win32.  With a winelib app, wouldn't you be
> able to read the file in with *nix calls?  I haven't written any winelib apps
> myself, so maybe I'll shut up now about that.

	My understanding is rather weak here, as well.  I've been using a call
to fopen("/etc/fstab",...) and it works fine.  However, I'm unsure as to
why this works: is it because winecfg is a winelib app so fopen is
actually coming out of the normal glibc? or does wine pass the name
through to the unix filesystem?  I currently have a drive mapped to "/",
will this continue to work if that is not the case?
	To summarize the issue: if I call fopen() from winecfg, am I getting
the normal GNU/Linux function or some Wine wrapper to it?

[F]ighting [U]ncertainy [D]aily-
	Patrick