Major FUD (was Re: Add root drive mapping to default config file)B

Jeff Smith whydoubt at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 3 15:16:24 CDT 2003

> 	My understanding is rather weak here, as well.  I've been using a call
> to fopen("/etc/fstab",...) and it works fine.  However, I'm unsure as to
> why this works: is it because winecfg is a winelib app so fopen is
> actually coming out of the normal glibc? or does wine pass the name
> through to the unix filesystem?  I currently have a drive mapped to "/",
> will this continue to work if that is not the case?
> 	To summarize the issue: if I call fopen() from winecfg, am I getting
> the normal GNU/Linux function or some Wine wrapper to it?

I would suspect this is coming straight from glibc.  If it was coming from
winelib, specifically msvcrt, I believe you would have to use a windows-ish
path, i.e. "Z:\etc\fstab".  That is how this whole thread got started, did
it not?

The simplest way to be sure is experimentation.  Remove the / mapping from
the config file, and see if /etc/fstab is still read in as expected.  If so,
it seems the whole / mapping thing is a non-issue to winecfg.

 -- Jeff Smith