State reporting (was: Re: Major FUD (was Re: Add root drive mapping to default config file))

Gregory M. Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Thu Jun 5 13:21:49 CDT 2003

On Thursday 05 June 2003 04:04 am, Mike Hearn wrote:
> > We have that, this is what MESSAGE is meant to do.
>
> OK, cool, I guess routing that into a GUI should be on somebodies mental
> if not marked up todo list.

just another note (hmm, by speaking on this, I fear I am getting dangerously
close to volunteering): it's probably /not/ cool to use windows API's to
implement such a GUI -- because the messages could be coming out before core
GUI dlls are loaded.  I think another poster mentioned the same issue.  So I
guess it needs to be a pure-x thing...?  Maybe MessageBox is safe, but
MessageBox seems like a potentially annoying implementation.  Otherwise,
perhaps its possible to queue premature messages until the neccesary
essential dll's load up -- of course, this may never occur, resulting in
eerie silence...  maybe a job for interprocess RPC, since it supports string
arguments so well ;)

I'd muck around with this, but right now I have cabinet.dll at the top of my
queue....  maybe soon....

--
"A just security to property is not afforded by that government,
under which unequal taxes oppress one species of property and

gmt