[DShow] A bunch of stubs...

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com
Mon Jun 9 10:29:17 CDT 2003

> PS: before anyone sends me mails, we know that WineX's QUARTZ DLL is LGPL'ed

I've been thinking (waits for the applause to die down). DirectShow is
similar in style and architecture to GStreamer right? They both use
graphs of connected elements. Would it be possible to use GStreamer to
implement Quartz?

Pros:
 * Saves potentially a lot of work, depending on how big DirectShow is.
 * GStreamer is written in C, under the LGPL (though licenses of codecs
vary)
 * Get lots of codecs for free.

Cons:
 * Are they too different? Would it be like trying to map comctrl onto
Tk?
 * Adds an extra dependancy on GStreamer. Still, all distros with
gnome2.2 (ie all of them) ship with it on the CDs.
 * I don't know what I'm talking about, so I could be being dumb.

Thoughts?

--
Mike Hearn <m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com>
QinetiQ - Malvern Technology Center