[DShow] A bunch of stubs...

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer at free.fr
Mon Jun 9 14:37:32 CDT 2003

> I've been thinking (waits for the applause to die down). DirectShow is
> similar in style and architecture to GStreamer right? They both use
> graphs of connected elements. Would it be possible to use GStreamer to
> implement Quartz?

/me applauds..

Tom, add Mike as the new Quartz maintainer :-)

Actually, we may use this solution, but I really never looked at it to see
if it's doable. It could be, but on the other hand, one could say 'Win32 GUI
is similar in style to GTK+, you have buttons and sliders and widgets, so
let's use GTK+ to do Win32 GUI elements' :-)

Moreover, when you see this :

trace:quartz:Graphbuilder_RenderFile(0x403c3680/0x403c3680)->(L"r:\\sshock2\\cutscenes\\cs1.avi" (0x40682a80), (null) ((nil))): stub !!!
trace:quartz:Graphbuilder_FindFilterByName (0x403c3680/0x403c3680)->(L"LG Video Renderer" (0x4068294c), 0x4068262c): stub !!!

You see that the application expects to have their own renderer to be
used... So it complicates a bit all the stuff if GStreamer chooses one for
us which is not the one the application expects.

Finally, the hard part is not (I think) how to implement it, but how DShow
works (there are hundreds of COM interfaces / objects and most is
constructed 'automagically' by 'Graphbuilder_RenderFile'). Once we have the
logic in place to build this graph the same way Windows applcations expects
us to build it, then we will have done most of the work I think and the rest
is only code stealing :-)

          Lionel

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/