Broken links on WineHQ

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Jun 10 17:57:00 CDT 2003

Hi,

I see that Tom has been fixing broken links lately. So I have
industrialized the process a bit: I have run linklint on WineHQ.com and
it found 164 dead links.

I wrote a wrapper script around linklint, it's mostly syntactic sugar
but I find the linklint options to be pretty unintuitive so the script
will allow me to re-check the site later. Even better, I have included
the script below so anyone can run it and check WineHQ for dead links.
Do we have a volunteer for running the script from time to time?

Note: the script directs linklint to check at most one page per second
so as to limit the impact on the site.

I have also uploaded the result files to my web site so everyone can
check them out and start sending patches without running the script and
hammering WineHQ. The most interesting pages are:

 * http://fgouget.free.fr/wine/linklint/errorF.html
   Lists broken internal links with the pages they occur in.
   I.e. it will tell you page http://www.winehq.com/foo points to
   http://www.winehq.com/bar and bar does not exist.
   We have 4 of these.

 * http://fgouget.free.fr/wine/linklint/errorAX.html
   Lists missing anchors in our pages.
   I.e. it will tell you page http://www.winehq.com/foo points to
   http://www.winehq.com/bar#Here but there is not 'Here' anchor in the
   bar page.
   We have 57 of these.

 * http://fgouget.free.fr/wine/linklint/urlfailF.html
   Lists broken external links.
   I.e. it will tell you page http://www.winehq.com/foo points to
   sites like http://dcerpc.net/ but the host name does not resolve or
   the URL is 404, etc.
   We have 154 of these.

 * http://fgouget.free.fr/wine/index.html
   Index to the internal links reports.

 * http://fgouget.free.fr/wine/urlindex.html
   Index to the external links reports.

Dimitrie. Quite a few errors are caused by www.dssd.ca resolution
problems. I remember you saying that there was some trouble with
it. What's the status?

Another common source of errors is that the WWN articles don't use
numbers as the article index, unlike the Wine Kernel Cousin articles.
That probably causes some confusion.

---
#!/bin/sh

host="www.winehq.com"
seeds="-ignore /hypermail/@ -ignore /pipermail/@ /@"

mode="all"
local_options="-htmlonly -redirect"
remote_options="-htmlonly"
report_dir="linklint"

while [ $# -gt 0 ]
do
    if [ "$1" = "--host" ]
    then
        host="$2"
	shift 2
    elif [ "$1" = "--local" ]
    then
        mode="local"
	shift
    elif [ "$1" = "--remote" ]
    then
        mode="remote"
	shift
    elif [ "$1" = "--all" ]
    then
        mode="all"
	shift
    elif [ "$1" = "--retry" ]
    then
        remote_options="$remote_options -retry"
	shift
    else
        echo "Usage: check [--host hostname] [--local|--remote|--all] [--retry]" >&2
	exit 2
    fi
done

if [ "$mode" != "remote" ]
then
    time linklint -doc $report_dir $local_options -http -host $host $seeds
fi
if [ "$mode" != "local" ]
then
    time linklint -doc $report_dir -cache $report_dir $remote_options -netmod -docbase http://$host @@
fi
---

In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice they're different.