couple of questions about pthreads (scheduler/pthread.c) in wine

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer at free.fr
Fri Jun 13 11:59:33 CDT 2003

> My questions are:
> 1) Why Winelib uses it's own implementation of pthreads (at least it
> looks like this is intention)?

Because Wine uses his own threading model to emulate the one used in real
Windows. This means that pthread needs to be 'ported' to this model for it
to integrate well with Wine.

> 2) Is it possible to force linker to use symbols from libpthread.so
> instead of symbols from ntdll.dll.so? (I don't know how to tell linker
> to use symbol, e.g. pthread_cond_wait,  from specified library, i.e.
> /lib/libpthread.so.0).

Well, maybe you can, but we do not guarantee at all that the result will
even work. If you use Winelib to port an application and never intend to use
any native Windows DLL, it could, but that is currently not supported by
Wine (ie have Wine use pthread for its threading).

          Lionel

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/