Wintab: beginning to investigate Aric's patch from April.

Aric Stewart aric at codeweavers.com
Wed Jun 18 11:15:02 CDT 2003

Hi Robert,

  No problem with the timing.

> The first thing I'm seeing is a crash in the WTInfo() wintab call with
> Painter 5. Will look into this further, and attempt to fix.
>
> Aric: Ever had this? I'll investigate further before posting up
> any significant details, as I suspect the fix is trivial.

This is new to me. i believe the version of painter i tested against was
painter 7. So i am not sure what Painter 5 does. Generally I have a
tendency to overload the TRACE channel when i develop. so maybe a good
+wintab32 log will help.

> I haven't looked any further into Aric's other problems with Painter, as
> this WTInfo() error prevents Painter from even starting!

I have a number of exe files i downloaded from the wacom developers site
that test tablets in various ways. do you want me to send them to you?

> More importantly, I'd like to know why it didn't make it into the CVS?
> Did the patch slip behind the filing cabinet (as they do ;-)?
> Or was there a more substantive reason to reject the patch?
> I think Mike Hearn mentioned something about it's size (v. large)?
> Aric, Alexandre: do you want me to want me to re-subimt the patch,
> once I've got WTInfo() working?

I think we where waiting on you. :) I did not formally commit it to
wine-patches because i wanted to get your input first.

If you are planing to expand on my patch, then i would say Alexandre
should could commit my patch then you work from there. Whatever is
easiest for you.

> I've also noticed that it doesn't update Wine's autoconf file to
> look for the XInput X extension, as is done to support other dlls that
> use X extensions. I assume this should be added.

actually i worked to make all the XInput stuff loaded dynamically to
handle systems where XInput may not be present. I am not sure what would
be required for building. If that is a step that is necessary and i
missed please do.

> Just to touch base with Aric: Has anyone done any more work in Code
> Weavers on this?

Nope, you have the latest and greatest i believe. I know i did some work
to try to fix painter but I did not succeed and actually fixing anything
so i did not save that additional work. (it was mostly just guessing an
various structure initialization) If after the winecvs commit i find
anything divergent i will send that do you.

-aric