winedos / Preparing for DPMI IRQs

Jukka Heinonen jhei at iki.fi
Mon Jun 23 12:06:50 CDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 22, Sylvain Petreolle wrote:
> Could you give examples of what has been enabled here ?
> I will be happy to do tests if some free programs uses this.

Well, actually I'm just doing some refactoring kind of work
needed in order to get DPMI IRQ support working. So this
patch doesn't add any real functionality. However, after
two or three additional patches, DPMI IRQs should work fine.

Working IRQ handling is needed by any DPMI program that
uses timer IRQs for precision timing, polls keyboard
(because this needs asynchronous events that are handled
by the same code as IRQs), installs mouse callback
handler or wants to use soundblaster emulation. So, it
is possible that quite a few DPMI programs (games
especially) would start to work better when IRQs
are properly supported.

Unfortunately, I don't really know how many DOS programs
really need IRQs but at least Doom Legacy seems to require
them and that is the main test program I'm using.

--
Jukka Heinonen <http://www.iki.fi/jhei/>