some ntdll functions (2) - part 1: functions

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Mon Mar 10 16:49:23 CST 2003

thomas.mertes at gmx.at writes:

> The native RtlLargeIntegerToChar function does produce garbage or
> STATUS_BUFFER_OVERFLOW for base 2, 8 and 16 when the value is
> larger than 0xFFFFFFFF. Here I decided also against "bug for bug"
> compatibility.
>
> IMHO doing something senseful instead of crashing or producing garbage
> is "The right thing to do" ((C) Linus Torvalds).

In general yes, but not in the context of Wine. Of course it's more
satisfying to make the function behave better, and it's OK to do it as
long as it doesn't break anything, but we can't have anybody depend on
that; because if we someday find an app that depends on the garbage
results we will have to put the bug back in. And that's why it makes
no sense to export extensions, since nobody can use them.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com