(Mis)using threads

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Thu Mar 13 02:02:51 CST 2003

Sylvain Petreolle wrote:

>It does, see the nice(1), renice (8)  commands and get/setpriority(2).
>

>>would work. But Linux doesn't allow a non-root process to increase
>>its  scheduling priority (and of course people shouldn't run Wine as
>>root), so it mostly seemed to just be an exercise in futility, and that's
>>why I think nobody has bothered. And I don't expect this toimprove...

Hmmm ... it seems to me that's exactly what they say:
 From the renice man page:
    Users other than the super-user may only alter the priority of processes
     they own, and can only monotonically increase their ``nice value''
within
     the range 0 to PRIO_MAX (20).  (This prevents overriding administrative
     fiats.)  The super-user may alter the priority of any process and
set the
     priority to any value in the range PRIO_MIN (-20) to PRIO_MAX.
BUGS
     Non super-users can not increase scheduling priorities of their own
pro­
     cesses, even if they were the ones that decreased the priorities in the
     first place.
 From the setpriority man page:
      The setpriority call sets the priorities of all of  the  specified
       processes to the specified value.  Only the super-user may lower
priorities.

Do yours say anything other?
David