WineHQ redesign - TODO

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Sat Mar 22 23:21:04 CST 2003

On March 22, 2003 12:11 pm, Brian Vincent (C) wrote:
> That's a terrible example to use since Jeremy has done a great
> job of always having the latest CVS drop on the front page.

Oh, he does indeed, all I meant to say is that Wine releases
are worthy headline news, and if we are to have a "Latest news"
box, than we can do away with the "Latest Release". BTW, a headline
news announcement may work better than the current "Latest Release" box:
it will have a clear date, the "WHAT'S NEW" will be immediately visible
(as a matter of fact, I figured only last Friday that clicking on the
release name gives you the ANNOUNCEMENT file!), and we can make it a
lot more fun (like nicknaming some releases, etc.). But this is really
besides the point, sorry for the big parenthesis.

> I think what you're getting at for news is we could (and should) announce
> things like:
>
> http://www.franksworld.net/wgm/

Yes!

> Hopefully in the future there will be more things like that.
>
> However, I'm definitely against announcing things like this:
>
> http://www.codeweavers.com/about/press_releases/?id=20030113
> http://www.lindows.com/lindows_michaelsminutes_archives.php?id=4
> http://www.xandros.com/release6.html

Correct. However, I was referring to new releases of CrossOffice,
CrossOver Plugin, WineX, etc. Which I hope you agree they fit in
very nicely.

> I don't think you want things like that, nor do you want to pick and
> choose what press releases get added.

Of course you want to pick and choose, any good news source does that.
The other alternatives are no headlines (bad IMO) or too much noise
(equally bad). We should not be afraid of picking and choosing. You
do that for WWN, and you do an excellent job.

Anyhow, we are now starting to discuss policy about what goes in
the headlines. This is an entirely different issue, and I don't
think we need "official" policy, just someone with common sense. :)
However, before we start discussing this, we need to see if we're
getting such a box, I feel a bit like Don Quixote here... :/

--
Dimi.